CASR elementary school students take classes in math, reading, language arts, science and social studies. Additionally, honors classes are offered for students in the top 10-12% in 3rd and 4th grades, and teacher-led tutoring is available for students that need help building reading and math skills. Classes begin at 7:45 a.m. each morning, and students are in school for 6.5 hours. Each classroom in grades 1- 4 has approximately 22 students, with class size being approximately 20 in kindergarten.
CASR elementary has approximately 78 Chromebooks for its students, with an additional 3-4 laptops in each classroom. Additionally, the Elementary School Facility has a computer lab with approximately 30 desktop computers, and several classes provide iPads and Kindle Fire tablets.
The following are examples of projects and lessons through which elementary school students at CASR may participate in S.T.E.A.M. education:
- Science class – hands-on science projects through Project Lead the Way (for more information please visit https://www.pltw.org/our-programs/pltw-launch) and Mystery Science web-based lessons and activities;
- Reading class – create a haunted house after reading a related book, learning engineering, art and
math concepts; and
- History – create a wagon out of materials and race against other students, learning engineering,
math, art and science concepts;
- Mathematics – We teach Bridges Math for grades K-1 and Envision Math for grades 2nd,3rd and 4th. For honor sections, we teach Eureka Math.
- Technology – CASR helps help kids learn to code by targeting the foundations of programming: problem-solving, logic, and critical thinking. Some of the tools we use simple block-based coding.
Additionally, CASR holds three STEAM Family Fun Nights at the elementary school each year.
These are S.T.E.A.M. related nights for students and families that tie to literature. Each night has one or two
components of S.T.E.A.M., including several activities for families to learn, build, and have fun. Examples of
activities at the STEAM Family Fun Nights include making an airplane and test how far it flies, and creating a
Coral Academy of Science elementary school offers CLAMP classes to every student in grade K-4. The acronym CLAMP represents the classes of: Computer, Foreign Language, Art, Music, and Physical Education. Every student learns the age appropriate standards for these classes, and teachers communicate through news letters.